Data Management Series 2 - Risk Analysis of a Facility Monitoring System
An effective risk analysis provides Facility Monitoring System (FMS) user with the peace of mind that their data is secure and their system operative even in the event of an unforeseen situation. Here we discuss how to perform a risk analysis of a FMS system that uses the architecture of industrial automation design. To access the previous paper in the series, click here.
A risk analysis is completed to study the system and understand its weaknesses in terms of functionality and how to minimize them. It is not used to consider the selection (number and location) of the monitoring points. There are many methods to manage risk1, including:
- Failure Mode Effects Analysis (FMEA)
- Failure Mode, Effects, and Criticality Analysis (FMECA)
- Fault Tree Analysis (FTA)
- Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points (HACCP)
- Hazard and Operability (HAZOP)
- Preliminary Hazard Analysis (PHA)
Interested in learning more? Complete the form on this page to receive a free copy of the Data Management Series 2 - Risk Analysis of a Facility Monitoring System application note.